Language learning has never been easier, thanks to the advent of cutting-edge technology like ChatGPT. This AI language model is designed to understand and respond to natural language, making it a great tool for anyone looking to improve their language skills.
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, learn languages with ChatGPT, it is the perfect way to help you improve your target language. If you want to improve your language skills, you can use ChatGPT to practice and learn new vocabulary, grammar rules, reading, etc… In this article, I will share with you the ways and reasons why learning languages with ChatGPT is the best way nowadays, and along with target language examples. Vamos!
1. How to start a spoken conversation on ChatGPT today?
Very good news from November 2023, ChatGPT: voice control is available for free to everyone. Just as you would with a native speaker. This can help you build confidence speaking the language and improve your overall fluency. For example, if you want to learn Portuguese, you can start a conversation like this:
How to use it
To ask a question orally to the conversational agent, you must first download the ChatGPT application from the App Store or the Google Play Store, as the functionality is not accessible on the desktop version. Once downloaded, follow these steps:
- In the application, click on the headset icon, located in the lower right corner of the interface
- Wait for the app to connect, then when the phrase “Start speaking” appears on the screen, ask your question.
- Additionally, you have the option to choose one of the proposed voices and change the language by accessing the Speech tab, located in the application settings. However, ChatGPT is able, by default, to identify your native language
And if you want to be polyglot, it’s fun to chat with ChatGPT in different languages and tell it’s a person in a particular situation, so you can practice conversations like hotel check-in, job application, etc.
2. Use ChatGPT to receive feedback and learn from corrections
If you make a mistake, ChatGPT can provide corrections, helping you improve your grammar and vocabulary. Learning languages with ChatGPT is great, not perfect, but still great, right?
3. Study vocabulary with ChatGPT in your target language
- Provide ChatGPT with vocabulary in the target language and ask for a definition or translation and give you with examples.
- Make a vocabulary list of idioms or expressions related to some specific topic.
- Alternatively, you give it some specific words you want to remember and ask it to give you a story or dialogue using them. You can read these stories or conversations often to memorize the words. Memorizing words in context rather than individual words or phrases is extremely effective.
4. Learn grammar with ChatGPT
If you always have trouble with grammar, ChatGPT can help you explain grammar points quickly, with very specific examples to illustrate each point.
For instance: Past perfect in Spanish
Another useful way to enhance your linguistic abilities with ChatGPT is to learn grammar points. You can simply ask it to write something like a story and include certain grammar points. If you are not sure how to use something, just ask, and you will get a more in-depth explanation. For example, I write short stories in Italian and translate them into English and explain the grammatical structure.
5. Educate yourself in languages with ChatGPT by creating a plan of study
If you are planning for foreign language exams like TOEIC, TOEFL in English or DELF in French, etc. You can ask it to help you with suggestions for your study plan.
To sum up, learn languages with ChatGPT is a great idea, ChatGPT is awesome with the above examples, but everything has its downside. ChatGPT still has mistakes when checking for grammatical errors. Moreover, the fact that we use it too much will make you dependent on technology, hey.
Imagine, when you have a word that you don’t understand, or a grammar error you can’t find. Then you will ask the technology, you get your results, you are satisfied. But it will make our brains become lazy, leading to lazy thinking, lazy creativity and that makes the benefits of learning a foreign language will no longer be meaningful.